Thursday, October 4, 2012

Proud to be One

Being a Pioneer has definitely taught me many different things in the last few years. Okoboji has been a good place for me not only to grow up, but to become comfortable. I love the idea of being in a small town setting where I know everybody in the room. I love the closeness between the grades, and that there isn't too much antagonistic behavior going on. I rarely hear people fighting in the hallways. When I usually get to school in the mornings before I go back to the elementary, I can hear laughter, and people are smiling. It brings my bad mood up a little bit and sustains me the rest of the day. It makes me happy seeing other people happy. Okoboji has also provided me a safe place to be. This high school feels like a safe-haven to me. For the longest time, being at home was torture to me. I hated being home because of all the crap that was going on. Getting to come here everyday and be with people who would listen meant the world, and I hope to God that I've been a blessing to everybody here as much as they have been to me. I've learned so much through social interactions with people, and I can only hope people have learned something from me as well. I've also learned how to be myself, which was something I struggled with for the longest time. For a while, I wasn't completely sure who I was. Though a lot happened to me this summer to change me for the better, I'd like to say it was my previous experiences with people here that helped me to grow and develop an openness for people. I also enjoy the aspect of the extracurricular activities I'm in because they helped me to find people I enjoy talking to. If not for jazz band, large group speech, individual speech, band, student council, the fall musical, and the spring play, I wouldn't have begun to talk to some of the people that are my closest friends now. I love them all dearly, and I wouldn't want my life to be any other way right now. I also think the teachers here are pretty awesome, too. No, I'm not trying to suck up. I'm being genuinely and wholeheartedly honest, here. I think the teachers at this school are some of the most goofy, caring, and all around genuine people I've ever met. While some are a tad more outgoing than others, the teachers here care nonetheless. I think that's what makes it easy for me to come here every day and be happy. Though life may take me somewhere new, I'm never going to forget all the laughter and fun I've had here at Okoboji High School. Being a Pioneer has truly taught me how to be a better, more responsible and caring person. I just hope I'll have had that same impact on someone's life.

1 comment:

  1. I also have become closer to people I wouldn't have, if I didn't try some of the extracurricular activities I'm in.

    ReplyDelete