Thursday, October 4, 2012

Proud to be ONE.

As much as I really hate going to OHS sometimes, there are other times where I wouldn't want to go anywhere else. First of all, the friends I have at OHS are one of the biggest reasons I'm proud to go here. I don't have to dress up to come to school, I'm not judged by what kind of car I drive, and buying a sweatshirt that costed three dollars at goodwill is praised, not made fun of. Okoboji is in the heart of a rich community, but the students here are not materialistic whatsoever. I know of a few surrounding schools where materialistic things and looking good everyday are valued, and I'm so proud to say that's not a characteristic of OHS. Another reason I'm proud to go to OHS is because of our amazing debate team. Through all the trials we've been put through in the last year, it's amazing to say that we've all stuck together and started our season off with great success. There are teams from other schools who have all the money in the world to pay for extra coaches and information packets, and we can still kick their butts. The biggest reason I'm proud to be a pioneer is because of the teachers we have here. I sincerely think that the teachers we have here are some of the best anyone could have. The majority of my teachers are young, and I can relate to them so much easier than I would to someone who is 70. Even the teachers that aren't young in age, are young at heart. I have relationships with teachers that are closer to a parent-child relationship than a student-teacher relationship.I know if I ever need help with something, they would be more than willing to help. If I went to a big school with thousands of students, I would never have the opportunity to have such great relationships with my teachers. I don't agree with everything OHS does, or what the student body thinks a lot of the time, but I do know that I was born and raised a pioneer, and will continue to be for the rest of my life.

3 comments:

  1. I like how you point out that it is not in the money or resources to which our students are provided, but more to the effort we put forth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree when you talk about clothing and looks. At some schools looks are everything. Here at Okoboji, nobody cares if we wear sweats or basketball shorts. I think people are pointed out more if they are wearing nice clothes instead of comfortable ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't really considered the idea of our school not being materialistic. I think that's a really good point, and I'm glad that we aren't that way.

    ReplyDelete