Monday, October 15, 2012

Lid on Education

It surprised me how much this video made sense. I don’t like the way it grouped people by being smart and not smart, but it’s true. We judge that by people who have had proper schooling or if they haven’t. What’s to say there’s not more options, or what if these aren't options at all to classify people by? And another crazy idea is as children we’re amazing divergent thinkers. When we get older though, we lose our divergent thinking because people tell us the function of a paper clip, and it shouldn't be used for anything besides that. This video made me question my education. Were the past 12 years worth it? Could my schooling have been better? I also found the connection between this video and the flea video to be very similar. It mentions that a flea being taught jump only so high will continue to do that for the rest of their life, so a student taught like a flea should expect limitations on their ability. 

2 comments:

  1. I agree that some people are intelligent in different ways. Albert Einstein once said, "If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also had those questions. It also made me question if these last 12 years of learning and shaping me into who I am have really made me ready for college.

    ReplyDelete