Sunday, October 21, 2012

Is The Way Schools Teach Harming Our Futures?

After watching the video the other day by Sir Ken Robinson and then reading Roger Schank's articles, I have begun to question our school system more and more. Roger Schank gives reasons why each mandatory class in school shouldn't be mandatory. Like chemistry. I took chemistry last year and I didn't like it at all. It didn't interest me. Schank said that most students won't take chemistry again because they'll never use it again. I am one of those students. I'm not going to become a doctor or anything that deals with chemicals. He also gave really good reasons why teaching foreign languages is bad. I am now in my fourth year of taking Spanish and honestly I still can't understand spanish speaking people that well. The problem, like Schank said, is that the way people talk and how books say people talk are completely different. None of us speak perfect English, following all of the grammer rules, and neither does anyone else in other countries. I do kind of disagree with how Schank presents his information. I agree with a lot of what he says, but he says it in a kind of unprofessional way. He states that several of the subjects are "silly" and "a complete waste of time." While I do agree with these statements, many people will see these and see Roger Schank as not very professional and deem his informational not trustworthy. Overall I agree with Roger Schank and Sir Ken Robinson and that something needs to be done about the way students learn. 

4 comments:

  1. I agree with what you said about foreign languages. I'm also in my fourth year in Spanish and I'm pretty good at it, but when it comes to actually listening to someone from a Spanish speaking country talk, I'm completely lost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too liked how you talked about your Spanish speaking part of it. You see that is why I only took 2 years of Spanish. I too was good on tests and quizzes but when came to real people talking... lost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have a point when you talked about Roger Schank seeming a bit unprofessional in his article. Though I agree with the points he made, he definitely could have conveyed them better to make it easier for more people to agree with him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think every young adult has the difficult time seeing the benefits of such things when they are "in the moment." I too took four years of Spanish and wish I would have payed better attention. Hard to see now, but you will wish you had that skill later in life. Something I thought about the other day while officiating an indoor soccer game between two Hispanic teams was if I tried to say something to them in Spanish how nervous I would be about saying it properly...and then I thought "wow this must be how they feel every time they say something to an English speaker if they are newer to the language." Just one example of many.

    I am fearful as a teacher that I am wasting my students times with my subjects. I can relate to loathing many of my classes taken in high school. But I encourage you to learn the transferable skills from each class more than just the subject matter. Building your own furniture, gardening, future hobbies will sometimes use the skills you never thought you would need. I am not that old and coming to realize I should have done better in school because I could know more...With that being said, thank God for Google. :-)

    ReplyDelete