Friday, October 12, 2012

The Real World

I was surprised to find out about ADHD. I had never thought of it other than just being something some kids have. I didn't realize that it could be caused by schools and stress. Now that they talked about it in the video,  I can understand how it could be something that kids develop from school. I agree that we need more divergent teaching in school. Even in middle school we are taught that there is only one answer to any problem and if we don't have that answer than we are wrong. That's not good because in the real world there may be more than one answer to a problem. As for preparing us for the real world, I don't think we're very well prepared. We don't learn how to effectively work with others, we most likely don't learn or remember a lot from all of our homework and tests. There is a connection between the first video and the second and how schools teach. They teach us certain things, like there's only one correct answer, so then we start not thinking outside the box. In the real world we need to think outside of the box all the time.

5 comments:

  1. I was equally surprised with the ADHD factor. However, I still feel that ADHD exists and can be brought on by other factors, including genetics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also surprised about ADHD because I didn't know that ADHD had increased as you went east. However, I do agree with the fact that we do need to think outside the box more than what we currently do. If we want to really prepare ourselves for the outside world, then thinking outside the box is our only choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really agree with you on the lack of knowledge students are taking with them after they finish a homework assignment or a test. It is sort of crazy that people are not coming up with better ways to help students retain knowledge that will aid them in their future lives. Is that not the point of an education?

    ReplyDelete
  4. People should think outside of the box more often. There can be more than one solution to the answer we just have to think creatively and look for that new way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely agree with you about since in middle school we were taught there is only one way to answer something. I think if we had a wider range of teaching styles and more resources for students divergent thinking could be incorporated easier.

    ReplyDelete