Monday, October 22, 2012

Hatin on School

Rodger Schank brought up many great points on why we don't need school. Students, for the most part, know what they are good at and want to go into as a field of study for the rest of their lives. So these students should take classes that will help them in that field or ones that they enjoy. For me history is my worse class. I never have liked it, I always have thought it was boring, unless you talk about like WWII or something. But for the most part things like the Renaissance and European governments of different counties through time is a boring useless topic that I don't ever need to know. I liked how he talked about foreign languages and how we learn them. We have all these tests and quizzes on them for the writing part with its grammar rules and other such nonsense. Most people need to learn to understand, interpret it from real speaking native people. When I was in Spanish, I was good on the writing aspect of it but couldn't understand anyone who spoke Spanish. Overall I agree with Rodger Schank and can see that schools need to change our education system for students. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree that information we retain for tests doesn't apply to life outside of high school or college. I particularly liked your example of the difficulty of truly learning a foreign language.

    ReplyDelete