Friday, October 19, 2012

Finally, Someone Gets It.

I think Rodger Schank is a brilliant man. He is a very informed man, and I think that a lot of his conjectures about the pointlessness of certain high school courses are completely true. I especially agree with him on why some of the high levels of math are completely useless. I mean, if a student enjoys math, by all means they should take as many math classes in high school as they can. They should pursue that as a career. If and only they enjoy it though. However, because this math is not applicable to most student's future lives, why are the high schools and universities expecting them to take it? Just as a student who enjoys math should take many math courses and pursue that as a career, a student who is interested in other subjects should pursue that. Also as Schank said, teachers should teach students logic, speaking, writing, and real world problem solving within the areas of study that they enjoy. This just makes sense, as it is equipping the students for the things that will actually affect them in later life.

5 comments:

  1. I agree that high school classes should teach us real world problems instead of knowledge that we may not use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree with the statement that someone should only pursue things they enjoy doing for a career. In order to have a good career, you have to like what you do. My dad always says that to me. Now I know how true he is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you also. We should learn things that are going to directly apply to the real world. Students should also be able to choose classes that are going to help them in their future careers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree with you because if we don't enjoy what we're doing, then we're never really going to be happy or as successful as we could be in something we enjoy doing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that we worry too much about classes for college, and when college arrives, we stress over classes that we won't apply in our future. You bring up very good points about not learning if there is a lack of interest.

    ReplyDelete