Friday, October 19, 2012

Do high school classes teach us the right way?

I most definatly disagree with things that Roger Schank says in his articles. He says that high school classes are pointless. Yes, sometimes I wonder why I have to take history or Algebra II, but if nothing else, high school classes make college easier. And I personally do think that Algebra matters in real life. My dad works at Pure Fishing and invents new products, and everyday he applies Algebra everyday he goes to work. I'm not positive if high school classes benefit students right away, but they each us things that make our lives easier as we age. Schank listed History as one of the useless high school subjects and I agree with his reasoning on this subject namely because it does not interest me. For the most part I can understand Schank's evaluations of certain subjects, but some are unbelievable. Personally, I think that Schank is thinking about learning too much. He might not use a certain subject, but that doesn't mean someone else doesn't. He needs to think about other people and what they do for a living before he says a subject is unnecessary. Last week the video pointed out problems with the education system, this week Schank tells of specific 'unnecessary' subjects. This weeks article is more specific with problems. Overall, Schank's article is very indepth and has strong points even if I don't agree with all of them.

1 comment:

  1. He really does need to think about what other people do and how they got there. I agree that some of his points are totally bogus.

    ReplyDelete