Monday, October 15, 2012

Classes of Conformity

I must begin by saying that the depth of thought in this video was shocking. The perspective that was taken on by the speaker is one that we often don’t hear, especially from and elderly generation. The speaker does bring up a good point in that education has evolved over time, and that it must evolve once more to meet the standard of an evolving world, and higher competition in job and education markets. This video created a new perspective for me, not because it made me skeptical of my educational past, but because it made me fear my educational future. The video mentioned that one of the reasons for this could be the lack of divergent thinking, which is discouraged as we are taught to believe that only one answer exists.  The factory line metaphor further emphasizes that no two children learn the same way, making it hard to create an education system that suits each child individually.

5 comments:

  1. In your opinion, which would be better? Making an education system for the individual or making one for the society as a whole? I believe the education that we have today is for the whole society, but I would prefer an education for the individual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that an education system that betters society as a whole is one that can benefit each individual student. I believe this can be accomplished through (as mentioned by the speaker) incorporating divergent thinking and a variety of teaching methods into a curriculum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The video also made me skeptical of my education and the future of it too. It opened my eyes and I now view education differently from a different perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you when you say that it makes you fear your educational video. I mentioned that in one of my comments on somebody else's post. I also agree with the last thing you said about an education for each individual. Although it would be nice to have an individual education and to learn at our own pace, it's more likely to have an education as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you talked about things the video brought up. It brought up ideas that I haven't considered a lot, such as how school compares to a factory. It's surprising how much that they have in common. Just because you have experience working at a factory doesn't mean you're going to get a great job after that. Just because you went through high school and possibly college doesn't mean you'll get a great job.

    ReplyDelete