Friday, September 7, 2012

What is Success?

You may or may not realize just how much Steve Jobs has influenced life as you know it.  From iTunes to the iPad, Jobs can take credit for many of the technological advances that permeate your lives.  In reading about his death last October, though, I was struck most by a commencement speech he delivered at Stanford University shortly after he was diagnosed with a rare form of pancreatic cancer.  The things he said were poignant, important, worth repeating.

“When I was 17, I read a quote that went something like: ‘If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you’ll most certainly be right.’ It made an impression on me, and since then, for the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: ‘If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?’ And whenever the answer has been ‘No’ for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.”  - Steve Jobs.


Your blog job: Today for our blog your task is simple.  Spend some time reading the complete graduation transcript here.  Then respond to Jobs’ ideas.  Do you agree?  What did you find most important?  Steve Jobs was one of the most successful people (in worldly terms) who has walked this earth during your lifetime.  How does that influence your opinion on this graduation address?  Please write at least 150 words (for those of you who prefer parameters).  If you want to write more, though, go for it.  Then comment to at least two of your classmates’ thoughts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment