Friday, September 28, 2012

To Fail or not To Fail

Failure is something everyone fears in some way, shape, or form. For me personally, I haven't encountered too many places of failure in my life. I'm not saying I've always been successful in everything I do, but I'm certainly not upset to the point of calling any mistakes in my life a 'failure'. In today's school environment, I think people put way too much pressure on students to get good grades and be successful at everything. While that isn't necessarily a bad thing, I think the pressure sometimes scares students into being worse off than what they would have been. In some cases, some people have a fear of taking tests because they don't think they'll pass. I think teachers could alleviate some of the fears by offering more incentives for good grades, and possibly retakes on tests. Yes, we do it at Okoboji, but what about the schools that don't? I think fear of failure is a completely rational fear because at some point failure is inevitable. In response to the article: I think it's a great idea to have a failure week. If you show students that it's okay to fail sometimes, I think it would take away some of the fear. By showing students that it's okay to fail, some students may become a bit more relaxed. While that isn't necessarily ALWAYS the case, I feel that it's better to have the fear and be able to control it, over having the fear and letting it consume you.

4 comments:

  1. I agree that failure is inevitable because no one is perfect. Eventually something has to give to where someone cannot do their best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a good point to say that people fear failure and don't attempt tests or turn them in, that is self destructive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that some people need to relax more about failing. It will happen at some point in time or another. Whenever it does happen, it is important to know how to handle failing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely agree with you about schools needing to have the opportunity of re-tests. It just makes sense because students are constantly learning, and it just makes sense to allow them to re-attempt.

    ReplyDelete