Monday, September 3, 2012

Meaningless Media

After reading this article, it got me to thinking how much time I waste with my eyes glued to some screen. Whether that screen be my cell phone, computer, or TV, the hours begin to add up. What am I going to have to look back on after ten years? Certainly not what video I watched on youtube or that status that got 23 likes. I'm probably going to look back and think of all the things that I could have done rather than sit around with my laptop. I know my media consumption could probably be reduced, but I don't ever think I could fully break away from it. I will still need to use my cellphone for an easy set-up communicatoin and occasionally use facebook to keep in contact with some people after high school so I don't believe I could accomplish what Jake did. I consider myself too "plugged-in".

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you. I also don't want to have regrets of what I could of done but didn't because I was to consumed with something meaningless thing on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sentence when you said 'What will I have to look back on in 10 years?'. I completely agree with what you said; we all spend so much time with electronics I wonder how many good memories we will have to look back on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is "too plugged-in." It's quite a general term to reference attachment to electronic media. I think electronic media is quite helpful to people's lives in ways of communication and ease of work. I don't think the electronic media itself needs to be taken away, but the attitude you make toward it ought to change. If you give yourself the need to take time away from life to check things, that needs to be a conscious decision you make to separate that fault.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you, Caeona. It makes me wonder what we can accomplish as a society if we decrease our dependence on technology. I think it can be a useful tool, but people abuse it and use it the wrong way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is interesting to ponder what we will think of ourselves 10 years down the road because of the time we spent on the computer and other media sources. Like you, Poof, I will regret the wasted time as well. The world is a big place, we might as well spend our time exploring it than being on the same site for hours every night.

    ReplyDelete