Friday, September 28, 2012

The Fear of Failure


Society today creates the illusion that failure has no purpose, and is unacceptable. It teaches that if you fail, you will not grow from it, so you must never fail. The problem with this logic, however, is that failure is unavoidable. Everyone will fail at some point in their lives, most likely quite frequently. In order to not be completely crippled by the fact of failure, we must learn to embrace the many times that we don't succeed. Students in school today choose to take courses that are easy, and that they know they will get a good grade in. They will not take courses that will challenge them, even if they may really enjoy the subject. Personally, I really wish grades didn't matter. All grades do is stress people out. I honestly believe that they are not a very good indicator of intelligence either. But, without a more effective program of gauging student intelligence, grades are what we have to work off of. As nice as it is to think that we can all just disregard grades and fail every once in a while, it is just not a realistic possibility in the real world today. Our futures depend on the grades we get, and we can't just toss that out the window.  

5 comments:

  1. I like how you pointed out that grades are not a real measure of intelligence. I completely agree with that, especially since intelligence doesn't only come from a book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you pointed out that grades are not a real measure of intelligence. I completely agree with that, especially since intelligence doesn't only come from a book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also wish that grades did not matter. Like you pointed out, in order to comply to today's rules, we have to have good grades.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like when you talked about grades. I hadn't thought of it like that but it is very true. Grades stress many people out so they take easy classes. I know many seniors in my class that take easy classes and aren't taking any math or science classes. Where is that going to get them in college? No where when they have to take math after not having it for a year and a half.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how realistic you were in your closing. Getting rid of the grading system will not be a feat accomplished while we're in school.

    ReplyDelete