Friday, September 28, 2012

Failure isn't the end

I think schools don't say much about failure, but they promote success so much that students are afraid and ashamed to fail. Schools don't intentionally instill this fear into students, they just don't do a whole lot to make kids understand why failure is necessary and happens to everyone. Since schools don't do a lot with failure, some students get used to failing and never try to succeed or care if they succeed. Schools have gotten better with trying to help failing students and creating programs such as No Child Left Behind. In my own experience the fear of failure has kept me motivated to get good grades. I've been worried about failure my whole school career so average grades became disappointing and still are. The fear of failure can be a good thing. If we are scared to fail, we will most likely do whatever it takes to get a good grade, even if it means losing a few hours of sleep to study. In my own case, I grew up thinking that failure was a terrible thing. I would get pretty upset when I failed. I remember pretty well the first time I failed. It was a 6th grade social studies test that I failed. I couldn't retake it and I was very upset. I learned from that moment on that some failure was inevitable and I should learn from it. I think Failure Week is a good idea because kids can know that some failure is going to happen and that they shouldn't dwell on it and that they need to learn from it and move on.

1 comment:

  1. I like one of your very first ideas that says schools don't try to put fear on us intentionally. I realize they don't, but sometimes it's hard to look at schools without fear. I feel sometimes like the weight of the world is on my shoulders because I need to get good grades. I realize that if I fail one paper, it's not the end of the world, but I still treat it like a pretty big deal.

    ReplyDelete