Friday, August 31, 2012

Jake's Experiment

I think what Jake did is really amazing. I don't think that I would ever be able to do what he did. Ever since I was in elementary school I've played computer games with my friends. In middle school we talked on myspace. Now, we interact using facebook, twitter, and text messaging. When my phone is dead or not working, I feel so cut off from the rest of the world. It almost makes me sad because there is no way for my friends to get into contact with me really. In a way I think that it's really sad that our society is based off this superficial version of ourselves we post online and portray through text. No one ever takes pictures to capture the memory, they take pictures to post on facebook for everyone to see what a great time they had. People send out mass text messages to others because they are bored, not because they want to sincerely talk to them. Social media sucks the sincerity and genuineness out of people. Although I realize this, it would be still so hard to cut myself off completely like that. People would get mad, I would lose friends, and I wouldn't get important emails or texts. While there are upsides to having so many social media outlets, there are definitely many downsides as well. I don't think that there is any turning back to what our society has created for social media, but I do believe that we have the ability to rejuvenate the true sincerity and genuineness within our relationships, and use social media more efficiently.

No comments:

Post a Comment