Friday, August 31, 2012

An Impact on Future Generations; Is Technology Worth It?

This summer, everyday, I babysat my 5 year old brother and 9 year old sister. Our schedule included breakfast, a daily visit to the park, lunch, reading time, and naps. Towards the end of the summer, I noticed a disturbing trend. Instead of wanting to go to the park or play on the swing set in our backyard, my brother and sister wanted to sit at home and watch the newest episode of "Ninjago" or a rerun of "iCarly". Being a 1990's kid, T.V wasn't something I valued until I was at least 12 or 13 years of age, let alone when I was 5. My idea of a good day was a visit to the beach or a walk around town, not sitting on the couch staring with blank eyes at an electrode screen. Jake Reilly's 'Amish Project' is a prime example of how much media controls our lives and my siblings are the poster children of future generations relationship with technology. Numerous brain studies have shown that the parts of the brain that control social interaction is different in people exposed to more electronic forms of communications compared to people who don't. I am not self-righteous either; I've spent my fair share of time on Facebook and Twitter. A big fear hinted at by Reilly is that people are too involved with technology and not enough with human interaction. I think this true on numerous levels. But technology is bittersweet, in the sense that it allows for people to communicate and keep in touch with close friends from across the country. Whether or not people agree with this, technology still has it's perks.

5 comments:

  1. I completely agree. Technology is taking over the lives of children at an earlier age, and it is not good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jack. This summer I also had to babysit my cousins who were 4, 2, and 1 and if they were inside they always wanted to watch tv. It's sad really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made some really good points Jack. If this generation of kids is sucked into electronics, what will happen to the generations after them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree, Jack. Whenever I'm babysitting my brothers they're always playing some game or watching TV. Never or rarely do they want to go outside or do something active. It's really sad

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you, Jack. A lot of kids these days are too consumed with technology and watching tv and don't really care what's happening around them.

    ReplyDelete